Thursday, May 6, 2010

My First Summer in the Sierra by John Muir

I didn’t think much of Muir’s book, it seemed like he was a bit too judgmental about a whole list of things. I especially didn’t like his attitude about Native Americans. I think there is more to be envied about their lives than just clean air and water. You think someone who had such a big problem with society would have felt a bit more connected to the people who were so closely connected he claimed to love. I did like his description of the animals and their roles in the environment. The in class conversation also got me thinking, could the black ant really be the ruler of his realm? I think so; there is great power in numbers. A single ant would be nothing more than an annoyance, but an army could bring the biggest man to his knees.

No comments:

Post a Comment